Dr. Stewart is a well-known, highly respected physician, who has been a cornerstone in Medical Associates and the Scugog community for more than thirty years. Having served in a number of important capacities in the community as well as in his professional life, Dr. Stewart has great depth of experience in clinical practice, academia, community research, administration and peer assessment (see CV below)
In his clinical practice, Dr. Stewart has used hypnosis as a tool for assisting patients who are dealing with a variety of conditions such as stress, insomnia and smoking cessation.
His interest in the benefits of hypnosis and the mind/body connection have drawn him to participate in the Find Peace of Mind programme, where he will lead some of the guided meditations and teach about the benefits of meditation.
- University of WesternOntario 1966 to 1972. Two years Honours Biology, Faculty of Medicine, MD
- House Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, WaltonHospital, Liverpool, England. June – August 1971.
- Rotating Internship, St. Joseph’s Hospital, London, Ontario. 1972- 1973.
- Medical Associates of Port Perry. General Practice. 1975 – present.
- CommunityMemorialHospital (Lakeridge Health Port Perry since 1998). Active staff.
- Community Nursing Home, Port Perry. Attending Physician. 1975 – 2011.
- Emergency Associates of Kitchener-Waterloo. 1973 – 1975.
- Director, North Durham Family Health Team. April 2017 – March 2018
Professional Positions Held
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. Peer Assessor. 2009 – 2015. Peer Assessor Physician Lead.
- Medical Director, Community Nursing Home. 1985 – 2007.
- Lecturer, Rural Residency Program, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto. 1999 – present.
- Director, Board of Directors, Community Memorial Hospital Foundation. 1999 – present. Foundation President 2012 – 2014.
- Clinical Preceptor, Rural Residency Program, Department of Family Medicine, Queen’s University 2006- present
- Member, Professional Development Committee, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto. 2004 – 2006.
- Deputy Chief of Staff, Lakeridge Health, Port Perry. 2004 – 2006
- Director Rural Health Services Program, LakeridgeHealthPort Perry. 2004 – 2006.
- Clinical Preceptor, Nurse Practitioner Program. Queen’s University. 1998 – 1999.
- Chief of Staff, CommunityMemorialHospital. 1978 – 1980.
- President, Health Science Council, University of Ontario. 1971- 1972.
- Treasurer, Hippocratic Society, University of WesternOntario. 1969 – 1972.
- Scugog Craig Taylor Citizen of the Year Award. 2008
- Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal. 2002
- Nomination for Practice Excellence Award. 1998
- University of Western Meds Honour Society Award. 1972.
- University of Western Ontario Hippocratic Society Award. 1972.
- Rotary Paul Harris Fellow. 2015
- Ontario and Canadian Medical Associations. 1972 – present.
- Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons. 1972 – present.
- Ontario Society of Clinical Hypnosis. 1988 – 1995.
- Clinical investigator: Fucidic Acid Vs. Tobramycin in the treatment of acute conjunctivitis. 1996.
- Pilot for Appropriate Anti-infective Community Therapy. Principal Physician. 1996 – 1997.
- Partners for Appropriate Anti-infective Community Therapy. Principal Physician. 1997 – 2004.
- Clinical Investigator, Discovery Program. Rosuvastatin.
- Ontario Anti-infective Review Panel. Primary Care Panel Member. 1993 – present.
- Canadian Respiratory Review Panel. Member 1997.
- PAACT Steering Committee. Guideline Development for Primary Care Physicians. 1993 – present. (Guidelines for Anti-infectives, Hypertension, Respiratory (Asthma/COPD), Anemia, Men’s Health).
- Guideline panel on Urinary Incontinence. 1998.
- CANMAT Depression Working Group Member. 1997
- Reviewer for multiple guideline panels: Ontario Anxiety Review Panel 1999, Treatment of Osteoporosis in Ontario 1999, Treatment of Stable Coronary Disease in Ontario 1999, Medical Treatment Guidelines for Treatment of Osteoarthritis 1999, Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Acute MSK Injury 1999.
- Canadian Association of Gastroenterologists. Guideline Advisory on Anti-inflammatories, and Biologics in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. 2007, 2008.
- Invitee, Workshop Presenter: “European Conference on Antibiotic Use” Belgium. November 2001.
- Canadian National Conference on Antibiotic Resistance. Member, Planning Committee. 2002.
- Future Forum Primary Care Group. Canadian Representative for International Advisory Committee. 2002 – 2008.
- Strategic Planning for Antibiotic Resistant Organisms in Ontario. Conference Invitee. 1997.
- Consensus Conference on Antibiotic Resistance in Canada. Invitee. 1997.
- Committee for Chief Medical Officer of Health Report on Antibiotic Resistance 1998. Member.
- Ontario MOH, Public Health Department, Subcommittee on Antibiotic Resistance. 1998
- CPSO Core Committee for Redesign Peer Assessment Handbook (Primary Care Assessments) 2016 – 2017
- “The Development and Evaluation of a Community-Wide Optimal Therapy Program” – PAACT (Pilot for Appropriate Anti-infective Community Therapy), Canadian Family Physician, April 2000.
- “Lipids in Primary Care”. Editorial Board. 2000 – 2002
- Cardiovascular Risk Management. Richard Hobbs and Bruce Arroll, Editors. Contributing Author. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing. 2008
Continuing Education Development
- National Co-Chair. Metasyn CME Program on Metabolic Syndrome. 2003.
- Curriculim Elaboration Committee Chair. Education Development for Long Term Care. 2005.
- Numerous CME Development Committees on Diabetes, Lipids, Antibiotic Prescribing, RA. 1997 – present.
- National Chair. Committee to develop Physician Teaching Programs in Diabetes. (“TEAM I, II”)
- Health Policy Advisory Board. Merck Frosst. 2000.
- National Rosuvastatin Advisory Panel. 2001 – 2004.
- North American Advisory Panel on Skin Sterol Testing and Cardiovascular Risk Assessment. 2003 – 2006.
- Scientific Advisory Committee for Cardiac Age Reduction Trial. Montreal General Hospital. 1998.
- National Advisory Board (AZ – diabetes) 2015 – present.
- National Advisory Board (BI, Lilly – Trulicity) 2017.
- GTA GP Advisory Board Novo Nordisk (Victoza) 2016 – present.
- Touchstone Institute, Clinical Expert Group. Development of Practice Ready Assessment for MOHLTC 2016 – present.